Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Pillow is Always Cooler on the Other Side

12.20.2012

Today we got approved for WIC, so now we've got a bit more breathing room on our food budget. We still have to go and apply for medicaid and get everything set up as far as doctors appointments go, but other than that, we're off to a good start.

I know it's still early on and everything, but I feel like we, Lyndsay in particular, still need our space from everyone. It's one thing to offer congratulations, but another to suffocate someone with "Are you excited?", "How do you feel about this?", "I want to touch it (her belly when it reaches can't-see-my-feet size)!", and other in-her-face styled prying.
  1. We aren't the "OMG I'M PREGNANT! LET'S HAVE A LINEAR SERIES OF BABY-RELATED/THEMED PARTIES THAT ARE NOT ONLY UNNECESSARY, BUT ABSURD AS WELL! ASK ME HOW FAR I AM!" type people; we enjoy our peace and quiet in regards to our social lives. Not saying we won't have a baby shower, just that a ridiculous amount of parties is well, ridiculous.
  2. When my wife is noticeably pregnant, you do not have presumed permission to touch her belly, ask nicely and respect the answer you get. Strangers beware: if you approach my wife at full-blown baby-belly and reach to touch it without asking or getting a "no", expect my best impression of Bruce Lee to be written in long-hand on your hand/wrist/arm.
  3.  We are excited, but that does not invite you to play 20 questions with us. If we want you to know the plethora of details, you are probably close to us and, therefore, already know. If we are reluctant to release information, and you persist on asking us further questions, then the answer to your next question is: "Shaddup!"
Also, I'm typing this at 1:21 a.m. CST on 12.21.2012, and I can vouch that the world did not end. So anyway, I can't wait until we get to hear the heartbeat so that I can focus some attention to the baby instead of us, I feel like I'm being far too selfish. I also hope that I haven't set my sails too early by telling as many people as we did. I know the percentages for first-time pregnancies ending with loss, and I don't quite know how we would take it if it were to happen. Now I feel like I'm bleeding negativity like a paper cut in a Quentin Tarantino movie. I'll leave you with my newly favorited phrase: Always look on the bright side of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment